Call for Submissions
for Volume 12 of In Good Company
April 1 to June 30, 2017
Theme: There is a crack in everything
That’s how the light gets in.
Based on the song Anthem
By the late, great Leonard Cohen
GENERAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES FOR IN GOOD COMPANY
1. Both published and unpublished writers who live in or have a substantial connection with Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, or North and South Carolina, are invited to submit short story fiction for consideration.
2. Authors may submit up to five entries with the accompanying fee for each submission. All submissions must be original, unpublished and not under consideration by another publisher. All submissions should convey some aspect of the theme.
3. Manuscripts should be between 3,000 and 5,000 words.
4. Option: To confirm receipt of submissions, please include a self-addressed, stamped postcard listing the titles of the submissions and the line: “Fiction and fees received.” No other SASE required. All communication will be digital.
5. To ensure efficiency, please send submissions and bios both electronically (email) and in a hard copy.
a) by email – either in the email body or as a Word (2003) document attachment. Please put IGC Submission in the subject line of the email. I repeat: Do not format this entry, i.e. keep all lines flush left, no centering, no tabs, no indents, etc. Send to email@example.com
b) Submit one hard copy of each submission —with your name, complete address with ZIP code, phone number and email address in the upper right-hand corner of the first page. A check for the registration fee(s) should accompany the hard copy submission. Email submissions will be considered only when the hard copy and fee is in hand. Authors will be notified when hard copies have been received.
Please include a brief (100-150 word) biography.
6. Contracts will be issued to authors whose work is selected for inclusion in the volume. Publisher copyrights published work. Authors retain all rights to their work.
7. Payment: Authors receive one copy of the publication and share in an aggregate royalty of 10 percent of retail book sales, computed one year after publication. Since royalties have been historically miniscule, Live Wire Press gives a donation of the aggregate royalty to the Library of Virginia. A personal receipt for royalty earned is available upon request one year after publication.
Authors receive a pre-publication discount of 25% and a reduced post-publication discount of 12.5% towards purchase of additional copies and previous volumes still in stock.
8. Submissions will not be returned; authors should keep copies of all work submitted.
9. There is a $15 registration fee for each manuscript submitted.
10. Mail your submission packet with fees (check or money order – please do not send cash).
Live Wire Press
6046 Shiloh Place
Mechanicsville, VA 23111